Last Updated: 9/10/2018
How We Collect Information
Information You Provide
We obtain information that you provide to us directly through the Service, which may include personal information such as your name, address, email address, telephone number, or other personally identifying information you choose to provide us.
Our websites may offer newsletters or similar features that may require you to provide certain personal information, such as your name or contact details, to receive such communications from that specific website.
If you sign up for magazine subscription orders or make online purchases via the Service, you may provide us your name, mailing or billing address, email, phone number, and payment card information. We will not store your credit card information unless you instruct us to do so.
You may be able to register an account on the Service ("Account"), for which you may provide your name, email, username, password, interests, and address. When we conduct sweepstakes, giveaways, or other promotions (collectively, "Promotions"), we may require you to submit personal information such as name, address, phone number, or email address. You may be able to enter such Promotions using your Account.
Information Collected Automatically
In addition to information you submit to us, we may collect certain information using automated tools such as cookies, web beacons, and web server logs (collectively "Tracking Technologies"). The types of information we collect automatically may include IP addresses, device identifiers, browser characteristics, operating system details, language preferences, referring URLs, timing and length of visits, and pages viewed.
- Cookies: A cookie is a small text file that is stored on a user's device, which may be session ID cookies or tracking cookies. Session cookies make it easier for you to navigate the Service and expire when you close your browser. Tracking cookies remain longer and help in understanding how you use the Service, and enhance your user experience. Cookies may remain on your hard drive for an extended period of time. If you use your browser's method of blocking or removing cookies, some but not all types of cookies may be deleted and/or blocked and as a result some features and functionalities of the Service may not work. A Flash cookie (or locally shared object) is a data file which may be placed on a device via the Adobe Flash plug-in that may be built-in to or downloaded by you to your device. HTML5 cookies can be programmed through HTML5 local storage. Flash cookies and HTML 5 cookies are locally stored on your device other than in the browser and browser settings won't control them. To identify certain types of local shared objects on your computer and adjust your settings, please visit: https://www.macromedia.com/support/documentation/en/flashplayer/help/settings_manager.html. The Service may associate some or all of these types of cookies with your devices.
- Web Beacons ("Tracking Pixels"): Web beacons are small graphic images, also known as "Internet tags" or "clear gifs," embedded in web pages and email messages. Web beacons may be used, without limitation, to count the number of visitors to the Service, to monitor how users navigate the Service, and to count content views.
- Embedded Scripts: An embedded script is programming code designed to collect information about your interactions with the Service. It is temporarily downloaded onto your computer from Annie's' web server, or from a third party with which Annie's works, and is active only while you are connected to the Service, and deleted or deactivated thereafter.
- Device Recognition Technologies: Technologies, including those that apply statistical probability to data sets, as well those that link a common unique identifier to different device use (e.g., Facebook ID), which attempt to recognize or make assumptions about users and devices (e.g., that a user of multiple devices is the same user or household).
We may combine certain automatically-collected information with other information we obtain about you, which may include information we obtain from third parties.
Information about your use of this Service and other online services may be collected across time, devices, and websites, and used for numerous purposes including to associate different devices you use and to deliver relevant and/or retargeted content, including interest-based ads.
Information We Obtain From Third Parties, Partners, and Other Sources
We also may obtain information about you from other sources and combine that information with information you provide to us directly or that we collect automatically through the Service. For example, if you do not purchase or request any magazine, gift, product, or other item available on the Service, but you otherwise receive any of the aforementioned, it may be because an individual provided us your personal information to send you a gift.
We may also obtain personal information about you when you provide personal information to third parties via the Service. For example, when you:
- Submit a job application via a website career portal, including your name, age, address, educational or employment background, and other employment-related information. Such career portals may be powered and facilitated by a third party service provider.
- Make a purchase or otherwise provide payment information via the Service. Your payment may be processed by a third party service provider, such as PayPal.
- Use Social Features (defined below), those third parties may send personal information about you to us. We may retain personal information that you provide through Social Features even if you discontinue your use of that Social Feature or we stop offering that Social Feature.
- Provide feedback on surveys facilitated by our third-party service provider(s), which may allow you to submit your email address or other personal information in connection with your reviews.
We may purchase or rent lists for offline direct mail promotions through list rental agencies and co-op databases. These lists may contain your personal information.
Social Features, Advertising, and Analytics
Certain functionalities on the Service permit interactions that you initiate between the Service and third-party services, such as social networks ("Social Features"). Examples of Social Features include features enabling you to send content such as contacts and photos between the Service and a third-party service; "liking" or "sharing" our content; sharing content by emailing friends; and features that otherwise connect the Service to a third-party service (e.g., to pull or push information to or from the Service). Additionally, when you comment on blog posts, a third party service provides you the option to be notified of any replies to your comments via email. If you use Social Features, and potentially other third-party services, information you post or provide access to may be publicly displayed by the third-party service you use. Also, both Annie's and the third party may have access to certain information about you and your use of the Service and the third-party service.
We may engage and work with service providers and other third parties to serve advertisements on the Service and/or on third-party services. Some of these ads may be tailored to your interest based on your browsing of the Service and elsewhere on the internet, sometimes referred to as "interest-based advertising" and "online behavioral advertising," which may include sending you an ad on a third party service after you have left the Service (i.e., "retargeting").
We use certain third-party web analytics services, such as Adobe Analytics and Google Analytics, to help us understand and analyze how visitors use the Service.
How We Use Your Information
We may use the information we obtain about you for various purposes, including to:
- Allow you to participate in features we offer on the Service;
- Access, store and use your customer profile to provide appropriate and tailored customer services (e.g., digital content associated with your Account such as downloadable ebooks, pattern leaflets, and kit videos);
- Personalize and improve your online experience (e.g., email you to remind you of items in your shopping cart or wish list);
- Enhance the viability and effectiveness of the Service and our product lineup;
- Respond to emails, inquiries, comments, questions, or other requests for support;
- Monitor and analyze trends, usage, and activities of website visitors and users;
- Develop new technologies and methodologies to help prevent fraud and combat the use of fraudulent email addresses;
- Improve the Service, our marketing, and other products or services we may offer (e.g., send you requests for website and product reviews for feedback);
- Contact you regarding your use of the Service or, in our discretion, changes to our policies;
- Provide you with offers tailored to their interests your past activities;
- Verify and/or authenticate a registered user's identity;
- Provide you offers from Annie's along with products/services from other companies we feel would be of interest to you;
- Comply with applicable laws, regulations, or legal process as well as industry standards and our company policies;
- Prevent, investigate, identify, or take any other action with regard to any suspected or actual fraudulent or illegal activity or any activity that violates our terms; or
- For any other purpose, with your consent.
Unless you request otherwise by contacting us at privacy@Annies-Publishing.com, we will retain the personal information associated with your registered Service Account(s) so that we may to continue to provide you access to the Service and related downloadable content and subscriptions.
How We May Share Your Information
We may disclose personal information we collect from via the Service to our employees, agents, vendors, consultants, contractors, and other service providers and affiliated organizations that need the information to carry out work on our behalf. These third parties use the personal information to which they have access to fulfill the purposes for which we shared that information. For example, we use Cheetah Digital as our primary third-party service provider for email distribution, PayPal, Paymentech, and Strategic Fulfillment Group as online payment processors and Shopper Approved to conduct website and product reviews on our behalf. We may share your personal information with, or rent your personal information to, third parties we think you might be interested in, for their own marketing purposes.
We also may share your personal information:
- To respond to requests by government agencies, including law enforcement authorities;
- When we believe disclosure is necessary or appropriate to prevent physical harm or financial loss, or in connection with an investigation of suspected or actual illegal activity;
- To enforce our policies, or to protect legal rights, property, or safety;
- With third parties, to investigate or address possible criminal or fraudulent activity;
- With third parties to facilitate requests to unsubscribe from third-party promotional emails;
- In the event of a joint venture, partnership, or other collaboration with another organization; or
- If we are required to do so by law, regulation, or legal process (such as in response to a subpoena or court order or similar government request for information).
We reserve the right to disclose any information we obtain through the Service in the event we sell or transfer all or a portion of our business or assets (e.g., further to a merger, reorganization, liquidation, or any other business transaction), including negotiations of such transactions.
Information You Disclose Publicly Or To Others
Additionally, the Service may offer you the option to send a communication to a friend or other contact. If so, you may only send such communications to people who have given you permission to do so. The recipient's personal information you provide (e.g., name, email address) will be used to facilitate the communication. Your contact information and message may be included in the communication.
Changing Personal Information
You may edit, alter, or delete information that you provided to us via the Service through your registered Account settings or by writing to us at privacy@Annies-Publishing.com. In your request, please specify which website(s) (1) you subscribe to, (2) have a registered Account with, or (3) from which you receive mailings or newsletters.
Ability to Unsubscribe
Should you receive a promotional email from us, you may opt out of receiving additional promotional email communications from us by following the unsubscribe instructions on the emails. You may also contact us directly at privacy@Annies-Publishing.com. Please note that even if you opt out of receiving promotional communications from us, we may continue to send you non-promotional emails such as product recall information, safety or security information, subscription information, membership details, Account status, order confirmations, shipping confirmations, invoices, or customer-service related email.
Ability to Opt Out of Tracking Technologies
Regular cookies generally may be disabled or removed using tools available as part of most commercial browsers, and in some instances blocked in the future by selecting certain settings. Browsers offer different functionalities and options so you may need to set them separately. Also, tools from commercial browsers may not be effective with regard to Flash cookies (also known as locally shared objects), HTML5 cookies or other Tracking Technologies. For information on disabling Flash cookies, visit Adobe's website. Please be aware that if you disable or remove these technologies, some parts of the Service may not work and that when you revisit the Service your ability to limit browser-based Tracking Technologies is subject to your browser settings and limitations.
Your browser settings may allow you to transmit a "Do Not Track" signal when you visit various websites. Like many websites, this Service is not designed to respond to "Do Not Track" signals received from browsers. To learn more about "Do Not Track" signals, you may wish to visit http://www.allaboutdnt.com/.
Ability to Opt Out of Analytics and Interest-Based Advertising
You may choose whether to receive some interest-based advertising by submitting opt-outs. Some of the advertisers and service providers that perform advertising-related services for us and third parties may participate in the Digital Advertising Alliance's ("DAA") Self-Regulatory Program for Online Behavioral Advertising. To learn more about how you can exercise certain choices regarding interest-based advertising, visit http://www.aboutads.info/choices/, and http://www.aboutads.info/appchoices. Some of these companies may also be members of the Network Advertising Initiative ("NAI"). To learn more about the NAI and your opt-out options for their members, see http://www.networkadvertising.org/choices/. Please be aware that, even if you are able to opt out of certain kinds of interest-based advertising, you may continue to receive other types of ads. Opting out only means that those selected members should no longer deliver certain interest-based advertising to you, but does not mean you will no longer receive any targeted content and/or ads (e.g., from other ad networks). Also, if your browsers are configured to reject cookies when you visit these opt-out webpages, or you subsequently erase your cookies, use a different device or web browser or use a non-browser-based method of access (e.g., mobile app), your NAI / DAA browser-based opt-out may not, or may no longer, be effective. We are not responsible for effectiveness of, or compliance with, any third-parties' opt-out options or programs or the accuracy of their statements regarding their programs.
Please note that certain third parties may perform interest-based advertising-related services for us in email newsletters you receive directly from us (e.g., banner advertisements at the header and footer of the email newsletter). If you would like to opt out of third-party interest-based advertising found within email we send you, you may click on opt-out links as indicated by the third party's advertisement. This does not unsubscribe you from our email newsletter. If you would like to unsubscribe for our email newsletters, please see the above section, "Ability to Unsubscribe."
In addition, we may serve ads on third-party services that are targeted to reach people on those services that are also identified on one or more of our databases ("Matched List Ads"). This is done by matching common factors between our databases and the databases of the third-party services. For instance, we may use these types of ad services offered by Facebook or Pinterest and other third-party services. We are not responsible for these third-party services, including without limitation their data security practices. If we use Facebook to serve Matched List Ads on Facebook services, you should be able to hover over the box in the right corner of such a Facebook ad and find out how to opt out of our list. If you opt out from our Facebook Matched List Ads, we will remove the matching personal information from that list, however, this will not take effect immediately and if you have multiple emails or other Accounts you may have to opt out separately for each one. We are not responsible for third parties' failure to comply with opt-out instructions or to provide us notice of your opt-out elections, and they may change their options without notice to us or you.
Ability to Opt Out of Third Party Personal Information Sharing
We may share your personal information with third parties, which may use the information to contact you. You may opt out of our third-party sharing program by emailing us at privacy@Annies-Publishing.com. In order to opt out of third-party contact lists, you may be required to opt out via the third party's opt-out mechanisms (which we do not control) or to contact the third party.
We maintain appropriate administrative, technical, and physical safeguards designed to help protect personal information collected or received through the Service. Although we use reasonable efforts to safeguard information, transmission via the Internet is not completely secure and we cannot guarantee the security of your information collected through the Service.
Links to Other Websites
We may provide links to other websites or services for your convenience and information. Websites that are operated by entities not affiliated with Annie's may have their own privacy policies or notices, which we strongly suggest you review. Annie's is not responsible for the content or privacy practices of any linked websites that we do not control.
When you register an Account on the Service, you represent that you are at least 18 years old. The Service is not intended for, nor targeted to, children under 13, and we do not knowingly or intentionally collect information from children under 13. If we learn that we have received information directly from a child who is under the age of 13, we will delete the information in accordance with applicable law.
California Privacy Rights
We may from time to time elect to share certain "personal information" (as defined by California's "Shine The Light" law) about you with third parties for those third parties' direct marketing purposes. California Civil Code Section 1798.83 permits California residents who have supplied their "personal information" to us to request and obtain certain information regarding our disclosure of personal information to third parties for their direct marketing purposes. You may obtain the categories of personal information shared and the names and addresses of all third parties that received personal information for their direct marketing purposes during the preceding calendar year (e.g., a request in 2018 would yield information regarding sharing in 2017). To make such a request, please provide sufficient information for us to determine if this applies to you, attest to the fact that you are a California resident and provide a current California address for our response. You may make this request by contacting us at privacy@Annies-Publishing.com or in writing at:
Annie's Publishing, LLC
Attention: California Privacy Rights Request
306 East Parr Rd.
Berne, IN 46711
Any such request must include "California Privacy Rights Request" in the first line of the description and include your name, street address, city, state, and ZIP code. Please note that we are only required to respond to one request per customer each year.
Information for Users Outside the United States
How to Contact Us
Annie's Publishing, LLC
Attention: Privacy Inquiry
306 East Parr Rd.
Berne, IN 46711
Learn a new craft every month!Join the Club